Friday, May 27, 2011

I love Desserts!!

Today is Show Us Your Life day over at Kelly's Corner and the theme is Desserts!!

Everyone who knows me, knows that I have the biggest sweet tooth and I absolutely love anything that falls into the dessert category!

One of my absolute favorite desserts comes from my Granny. This dessert was  a staple at every family function!! I hope you enjoy this homemade cake as much as my family and I do!!

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake:

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar                                  1 cup water
2 cups flour                                   1/2 cup buttermilk
2 T cocoa                                       2 eggs
1/2 cup Crisco                                1 tsp baking soda
1 stick Parkay butter                     1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
In a large bowl mix together the sugar, flour, and cocoa. In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil the Crisco, Parkay, and water. Remove from heat and pour over the dry ingredient mixture.
Add the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Mix very well.
Pour into 9x13 greased baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for  35-40 minutes.

Icing:
1 stick Parkay
6 T milk
4 T cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 box powdered sugar (8oz)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Bring Parkay, milk, and cocoa to a boil. Remove from heat, add vanilla.
Pour over powdered sugar. Add nuts if desired.
Pour onto cooled cake. (You don't want the cake too cool, just cooled enough so the icing won't melt off the cake)

Hints:
*I never have buttermilk, so I just make my own. Just mix 2 tsp of vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk and you have buttermilk!!
*The nuts "make" the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment